Men and SMS - Feminized self

Friday,July 31,2009.

The case of male teenagers' feminization when they're using thier cell phones to text message
was rather interesting, as I looked back at myself and my texting habits - they totally differed
as who were at the receiving end of my text messages! As Proitz claimed in his observation that male texters tend to use more shorter and importantly, functional types of texts - significantly
without any unneccesary 'emoticons' to make it look more fancy. After looking at some of my
mate's text messages they send to me and to the other people as well (all male friends by the way), the majority of them tend to use shorter abbrevations of words and sometimes
over-shortend words that I couldnt even understand what on earth he meant.
To list some examples, one day after my lecture I received a txt message from my mate saying : "WU??". It wasnt that hard to figure out that it means "Where are you?", shortend to the first word of the sentence to save some bother. However, the following txt I got from him was
rather puzzling this time, as it read: "PG?" What could PG possibly stand for?
He later called me and said he wanted to ask me the question :
"Pool game?"

When it comes to exchaning texts with girls, it's a totally different story.
I, for example, looking at the sentbox, tend to use a full sentence rather than extreme
abbreviations like "WU?" , but rather it was "Where are you at the moment? :)" instead.
The use of emoticon also is much more frequent when exchaing texts with girls.
It seems that when communicating with same sex, young male adults tend to express
thier 'natural' masuline side of thier personality but when in communication with opposite sex,
it appears that male texters tend to emphasize the feminine side of thier personality
in order to appear more 'understanding' of the female personality.

0 comments: