copy right and the internet

After years and years of buying over priced cds, at the ripe age of 13 i discovered the wonderful thing of downloading for free! Although it had crossed my mind several times that it is indeed stealing I resolved my qualms by telling myself about all the times I had to spend my hard earned allowance on cds. Imagine my horror almost 9 years later to learn that they are trying to take away this wonderful thing called "stealing songs online"!! However, after the class it really got me thinking. If I was a musician or even just applying it to write an essay and someone copied all my hard work I would be pretty pissed too! While I understand the need for copyright, I also feel that the proposed law was indeed outrageous. I mean cutting off someones Internet access is a little extreme is it not? Imagine being my parents who log on to the Internet only to be found its been cut off because their 13 year decided to download a few songs!

Another thing I had been pondering, there is no such thing as privacy anymore with things such as facebook or bebo or twitter. Every ones thoughts and ideas are put out to the world for anyone to see, and that includes potential employers. Everyone has put everything out for the whole world to see and there is literally no escape! Perhaps the only way to counter this is to forgo the internet completley? I doubt it, its too important for todays society. I suppose its just the wise advice of there is someone always watching, so dont put something out there that you would not want to come back to you.

0 comments: