Female vs. Male

I was looking through Facebook at the gender differences there are in blogging.
The differences I identified were 1) images and 2) status updates/wall posts.

Firstly, female images are alot different from male images on social networking sites such as Facebook. Scrolling through my friends list i noticed that many of the girls photos are posed and positioned (usually individual photos of themselves, you know the hand held camera pouching lips shot) either individually or in a posed girl group from a night/day out in comparison to the guys photos who are usually in a group of other guys who are either doing something either dangerous and immature, posing very staunch... otherwise, its not even a photo of themself, it would be of their favourite rap artist, a wrestler or a gadget. one of my male friends has a display picture of a balaclava and another has a photo of Mariah Carey and a photoshoped picture of him next to her saying "why you so obsessed wit me?". From looking at various images on facebook between girls and boys, it showed me how actively social interactive females are in comparison to guys - You dont see those kinda photos on girls pages, girls usually choose the best photo of themself to present themself nicely online, whereas guys tend to show their character through there photos. I asked my male friend who tends to use funny photos as his display pic why he doesnt put a photo of himself up, and all he said was "why should I? its funny, and everyone always comments on them. its crack up man!"

Secondly, wall posts are veerrry different between males and females, i looked through a couple of friends pages to see what their wall posts were like (without seeming too nosey). The female posts were very detailed. One friend put on her status "_____ thinks its hillarious how _____ hooked up with _____" and under this status update there was a looong conversation between the person who put it up, and another girl discussing this matter. and between the comments a guy posted "why do you girls expose your private lives on facebook?, dont you have phones to text each other this kind of stuff?". Very true! Obviously they are aware that there conversation about these particular people are being publicly displayed and shared with their friends see this on the newsfeed - so were they wanting attention?. Males on the other hand, dont seem to have regular status updates unless its about the Rugby league, a fight or something which seems very 'manly'. I checked a few other guy mates pages and their Recent activity all seem to connect to Mafia Wars or Poker - I guess males use social networking sites for virtual activity, where females (even though some are very attached to applications such as farmville and sorority life) seem to socially interact with (well on my friends i noticed) their friends online about the weekend.

I didnt realise how different female and males interacted on these sites before my analysis. Females are very interactive in terms with keeping up to date with their friends, whereas males are more for the fun of social networking sites and experiencing facebooks wonderful list of games online! (but i guess thats what my facebook friends are like). After all this examining i decided to change my display picture to something which showed my character... but then after a minute a thought.. nahh.. this makes my profile look ugly. back to the girl group picture!

0 comments: