Cyborg whaaaat?

A life without technology would be rather difficult, I would know. I think I am becoming a cyborg and its not hard to either. I recently had some trouble with Vodafone some time ago changing from on account to prepay… I had successfully changed but now was unable to text. I was infuriated by the fact that I was now unable to contact anyone on my own free will. It was hell, I felt like the epitome of Donna Haraways analogy of a Cyborg, and a cyborg does not need to be someone that potentially has a prosthetic limb or out of Hollywood stereotypes of a cyborg such as Terminator, Bionic Woman or Robocop. A cyborg could merely be someone that is so reliant on technology itself that it has metaphorically become another appendage on the human body. A cell phone is a prime example as the fingers are constantly dialling the next call or text. We are always connected, always online. Without a cell phone there is no one to constantly talk to or contact, you could potentially become out of the loop. A cell phone provides a lot of functions in this day and age, you can take photographs, receive emails, cruise the internet and listen to music. Becoming a cyborg has been a very fluid task that has not taken that much thought, it has almost come on quite naturally. There has been no definitive change in the body as technology has become a vital part to daily life. Each morning some of us rely on our cell phones to wake us up, or to remind us of things not to forget, we use electricity without even thinking that we are using it, we check our emails daily and just have a pure reliance on technology. We are cyborgs… face it people.

0 comments: