what might others think?

Wednesday, August 19, 2009 by jayjay

I think what Luke said in class about wanting to be individuals but at the same time wanting to identify with others is quite a universal which in turn gets reflected in how we use new media.

facebook reflects this as was mentioned in posts before in regards to how we present our tastes in music, film, etc. to be “out there”, but we also remember to make sure they’re not TOO out there. I also agree with what was mentioned in an earlier post about how the lack of immediacy gives us the time to deliberate about what we can say when we are making online comments for instance. I’m sure we’ve regretted saying more things to people in person than we’d have regretted writing wallposts, and the fact that we can delete comments just gives us more power to shape and construct how we think others should see us.

It seemed as though some of the ideas about identity were similar or related in some ways, like the impression management of “ideal self” and Gothman’s notion of carefully constructing an image of oneself for the outside world. A particular part of Gothman’s idea that struck me was his notion of leakage in which parts of our carefully constructed performances break down and conflict with our notions of self-identity. I talk again of facebook, and the recent hijacking of accounts I see on my home page. You’ll know what I’m talking about if you’ve ever left your facebook unattended with a friend and you come back and realize your status now says there is a party in your pants and everyone is invited...

Every individual I’ve seen on my facebook homepage whos status has been hijacked has quickly posted within minutes an explanation of what happened and who the perpetrator was. I think this highlights how people may want to protect the identities they have constructed and how they would want to salvage and repair their identities if they were ever damaged.

0 comments: