ONLINE DATING

Last Monday's Lecture got me thinking about how the internet has changed our lifestyles completely. Everybody has heard one story about somebody meeting a stranger online and the scary events that followed. It's so easy to re-invent yourself on the internet, and your 'profile' could easily be manipulated in so many ways. But internet dating sites have become so popular over the last years. I read somewhere that its more common for career- orientated individuals to be on dating sites because they don't have the time to go out to a bar and meet people. Dating sites allows the individual to be specific with their searches and find a compatible match in a matter of seconds. I think I can be understanding to those situations. If you can go on a website and meet ten compatible people with blue eyes, brown hair, and who likes to ski; why not? But at the same time, I think the internet makes us more self- conscious and aware of our surroundings. In the lecture, Luke discussed this notion of 'fantasy' when it comes to online dating. The question that I ask myself is if these relationships people build online would be transferred in the 'real world'?

0 comments: