Delete Me, B@#$%

Yesterday, a so called "friend" deleted me from their friends list on Facebook. By "friend" I mean someone I met and whose name I managed to remember at a friend's 21st birthday party. After I saw her name while browsing through Facebook, and remembered the cute dress she had on at the time, I added her. Something tells me, I won’t be doing that again anytime soon.

Two days ago, she posted a note on Facebook, a poem by a certain poet about the mystery that is – love. I, being heartbroken from a recent break up, made a sarcastic comment on the note that ended with something like: “…sigh…right now, love is such a bitch”. The next day, I was no longer a “friend”.

My comment had nothing to do with her, it was regarding my feeling towards “love” at that moment, and her note seemed like an appropriate forum for me to express my thoughts. Was it because I used the word “bitch”? I certainly wasn’t calling her a “bitch”. Was it a misunderstanding? Anyway, it’s her Facebook account and she has the right to delete whoever she pleases. However, this raised a certain question for me.

If she made it so abundantly clear that I was no longer a “friend” on Facebook, does this mean I’m no longer a “friend” in real life? I mean we’re not exactly friends. I’ve only met her once. But let’s say if I was to walk down Symonds Street and there she was, walking towards the opposite direction, an eye contact is made, we recognise each other. Normally, I’m the sort of person that would react by saying: “Hey, aren’t you *****'s friend? Remember me?” However, now with Facebook standing in between, I feel as if I’m forced to look the other way and pretend I don’t who she is. Let’s imagine this routine repeating day after day as we walk past each other for a week, what if one day she decided (miraculously) that she overreacted, and decided to add me once again? Would the invisible line that has separated us for the past week be lifted? Would it suddenly be okay for me to say “hi” again? Just some thoughts. Oh, and no hard feelings towards her, despite what the blog title may suggest haha.

0 comments: