I sleep with my mobile

A cyborg as defined by Donna Haraway in A Cyborg Manifesto is , “A hybrid of machine and organism”. When asked whether I considered myself a Cyborg, my immediate reaction was no, due to its negative connotations of a ‘techno-geek’, or the mental images of technology physically attached to my body. Later on I got to thinking about how my mobile phone is integral to my everyday life and in my Mum’s words, is like an, “extension of my arm”. On the rare occasion that I have left my phone at home I have missed lunch with friends, lacked sense of time (I use my phone as my watch) and offended people by not replying to messages. This reminded me of when we discussed the, at times contradictory, feelings toward technology. At one point it is our best friend and the next we are dreaming of a time and place without the frustrations of technological contraptions. While I enjoy the convenience of making text arrangements, I also feel frustrated when my mobile is misplaced. I have a need to be connected.

What is of particular interest to me is how a technology may appear to be a source of entertainment and convenience but that this may come at a cost. Marshall McLuhan argues that while technology may extend our skills, for example phones allowing us to cross boundaries of space and time, that at the same time we may lose other skills, he refers to as "amputations". For example, in face to face conversations, we may not make eye contact or be as engaged. Keeping in mind his tendency toward technological determinism I still think this may be a valid argument. While females are said to be the masters of multi-tasking, I can say as a female myself that there are exceptions to the ‘rule’. My reliance on my mobile has led me to, albeit very rudely, reply to texts when with other people, taking attention away from who I am with at the time. While people might argue that this is simply poor social etiquette, I will suggest that I am not alone in momentarily giving immediate attention to those not physically there. Without suggesting that everyone is as attached to their mobile as I am, I wondered whether others feel they have this same reliance and simultaneous frustration with a piece of technology?

2 comments:

    Great post, very thought-provoking and well-written!

     

    I definitely think it has become more acceptable for people to use their phones during a conversation or at the table during dinner... Mom! Or else you forget who you had to text back, or what you were going to say.