FarmVille on Facebook

I have a new addiction and it’s a Facebook application called FarmVille. At first I thought that it was one of those applications, which was a waste of time but this one seemed different. When I first launched the application it asked right away for my gender and gave me different options to design the character that will portray me in the cyber world. Once I finished creating my character I was ready to start living the life of a farm girl. I started by plowing the fields and planting some seeds and spent the next hours watching my crops grow. Then everyday I would get some gifts from friends that helped make my farm look more like a farm such as a variation of seeds, trees, animals, buildings and so on. I began by planting some strawberries, which took about 4 hours to grow. You should have the patience to watch your crops and make sure you harvest it in the right time because they will wilt and die if you don’t. After successfully harvesting my strawberries I earned money that helped me buy more seeds to plant. After getting the hang of it I was able to plant more crops like squash, eggplant and soybeans. Next I bought trees and animals, a tree takes about 2 days or more to harvest and same with the animals depending on what kind you have. Aside from growing crops and raising animals you can buy a barn, a pond and other things that will make your farm look better. And lastly one is able to choose his or her own neighbors and the neighbors will help you with some farm work and will give you gifts. Each farmer is assessed by receiving different ribbons and a certain farm level that is based on one’s experience and as much time he spends on his farm everyday.

Farmville allows one to experience life on a farm without actually being on one. This saves one from travelling to the countryside and spending petrol to go to one and this farm is just a click away from the user where you have total control of everything. You are even spared from doing the hard work such as plowing the land, harvesting the crops and attending to the animals. Everything is done by clicking the mouse and the outcome is just in a matter of seconds. Kids, teens and adults today from many countries around the world are spending at least an hour everyday on their personal farms in Farmville and this has changed how people use and see social networks. Social network sites are not anymore just a way of saying hi and asking how people are but a way of experiencing a world out of the ordinary at the same time learning a new skill, farming. It provides the user a whole new experience of using these sites at the same time gives them a new addiction.

0 comments: