ARE U FOR REAL?

Lastweek I got a text from an 022 (the new 2Degrees network) number which said:

"Hey beautiful, I just want to thank you for being a blessing in my life, time and space do not exist when i'm with you. you are the love of my life, and I thank you for being the person I love today. Have a goodnight. Love you xoxo"

I immediately assumed it was the wrong number, so I didnt bother to reply back. However, a couple minutes later, a close friend texted me saying that she just got a sick text which said:

"Hey bad girl, you were wild lastnight - let me know if you want to ride in my passenger seat again tonight".

We compared the numbers - and they were from the same person, so we knew that it was somebody trying to be funny. It was frustrating not knowing who the person was because through the Vodafone network, we've got names to most numbers, and because we are assigned to one number it would be harder to pretend to be somebody else. If someone pranked me through an 021 number, it would be easier to text that number around to my contacts who could possibly have some kind of connection to that person.
However, with the expansion of networks and easy access of $2 sim cards(2Degrees), it is easier for people to pretend to be somebody else just for $2, instead of a new vodafone sim card which is $25-$35 -and prank others through texting (even though it wasnt made for that purpose), frustrating the consequences of social life. Funny how self identity is not limited now to just behind a computer screen - but off the screen of your mobile phones now.

0 comments: