Cyborgee

Before the topic of cyborgs turns to dust, I want to raise the idea of cyborgs (being a product of technology) in the context of children.

Back when I was younger - I thought rollerblading, bike riding and going to the park to play on the swings and slides were the best days of my life! Nowadays, when I'm taking my nephews out for the day (the good aunty that I am) - I always get excited to take them to the park or buy him a rugby ball and play passes outside. Instead, he's constantly asking "can we go to timeout please?" or "can we go to EB games so I can buy a new game for my PS3?".

A friend of mine told me she spent $400 on a new PSP slimline for her 5 year old nephew - she said she wanted him to have the best present ever, and because he is always using her brothers PSP she thought - why not get him one of his own? He'd be stoked! (although, later on she realised how bad it looked on her bank statement - $400 on a 5 year old!?).

When did the PSP, or PS3 and Wii games become the new replacement for a "bicycle" or "trampoline?".

Children are becoming more and more reliant on technology to have fun as much as we are - they become stuck in a digital world of gaming and would rather than that playing outside with their friends. However, apparently there is a way that you are able to connect your psp with a friends psp to play each other in a game.
The relationship between master and slave is definitely visible in this scenario as children are being bought up to be enslaved by technology as well as using it as a control in terms of having fun. If this is how some children are introduced to "fun", I wonder how they will cope when they are older?

0 comments: